Parish History

 

May 3, 1901: The first Catholic church in Colwich, Kansas was dedicated in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

November, 1901: First resident pastor arrived

June 20, 1915: The white frame church was destroyed by fire

May 14, 1916: Cornerstone was laid for a new brick church

August, 1917: Church was completed enough to be used

June 9, 1918: Bishop Hennessy dedicated the beautiful church that still houses our worship of God today

Sacred Heart Church is a parish of about 400 families in the Catholic Diocese of Wichita.

Pastors

Fr. Joseph Manz 1901-1904

Fr. Joseph Ernst 1904-1918

Fr. Joseph Grueter 1918-1923

Fr. Godfrey Birrenbach 1923-1940

Fr. Anthony Herrmann 1941-1946

Fr. Stanislaus Esser 1946-1955

Msgr. John Moeder 1955-1965

Fr. John Rusteika 1966-1985

Fr. Vincent Eck 1985-1990

Fr. John Dinan 1990-1991 (Administrator)

Msgr. Denis Dougherty 1991-2000

Fr. John Sherlock 2000-2002

Fr. Brian Bebak 2002-2007

Fr. Ken Schuckman 2007-2016

Fr. Andrew Heiman 2016-